Wednesday, October 9, 2013

San Diego: Our Home Away From Home

Ahhhh, memories. We may not be in paradise, but still pretty close to it.

Hi everyone. We're back and blogging like fools I'll get you caught up to speed on Jungle Jim and Jenée. We are beginning in April 2013 and I promise to bring my same wise-ass narrative. Matter of fact, I plan to step up my game and go for the full ass wipe. Let's do this! What does this silly lobster have to do with this update. Who knows? I dig a plastic lobster with a chefs hat.

We are at the Boathouse in San Diego. Next door to our Marina Cortez.

We love the mud pie dessert with the sparkler thingy. Who knows how to party like us? Huh?

We shoot up to Newport Beach too catch up with fellow sailors - Ron and Linda. They crewed with us in 2011 on a portion of our first Atlantic crossing from the Bahamas (Abacos Islands) to Bermuda. They were a great help on that leg. Ron and Linda are now engaged and as you may notice, Linda (Chelmsford, MA shout out!) is a hahd core Boston fan. Rumors that Linda slept with half the New England Patriots is not true. Just quarterbacks and receivers, much less than half. You go girl. We plan to do double sailboat dating with Ron and Linda on their boat Ditto.

We've been getting good use out of Jungle. Here we are anchored in Glorietta Bay, tucked inside Coronado.

That there is the Coronado Bridge connecting to downtown San Diego.

We'll get of the boat and check out Coronado. It's mistakenly called Coronado Island as it is a peninsula, not an island. However it is a long ride around, much better to take the bridge. Now you know.

This is the main drag - Orange Street. Pretty center median strip.

Looking the other way on Orange Street.

We walk down to the famous Del Coronado Hotel. It's 125 years old in 2013. Around here they call it "The Del".

The Marilyn Monroe movie, Some like It Hot, has some famous scenes rom this beach.

My Hollywood star and I pose in front of The Del. That's right, Jenée was born in Beverly Hills, which is big.

We stop at the outside lounge at the Del. This placed filled up after we sat down.

Bloody Mary's. Yassas!

Inside the main lobby of The Del - all wood.

View from the front of The Del.

Yep, it's back to work on Jungle. Time to refinish the pilot house side windows.

Finished.

Gloss coat complete on teak toe rail

Need to work on the pilot house window covers. I' m removing the beat up trim to replace with new. Fun times.

This is Lorraine Wilson - fabricator extraordinaire. She fixed up my covers.

Side note: this is my Yorba Linda car.

And this is my San Diego car - Jungle dinghy.

I'll take you for a typical run to go shopping. I'm pulling out of my driveway.

Checking out the pretty boats on the way to the store.

Big power boats.

Classic ketch

San Diego sky line in my rear view mirror.

My shopping is done at the San Diego Marine Exchange. It's where the local boat workers go. I'm a boat worker. I work on my boat.

Navy chase boat at the fuel dock. Described to be the busiest fuel dock in United States.

Check out this healthy dinner salad. The Boston Bruins are on TV during their playoff run.

My buddy Roli Sannmann is a hockey fan, sailor and fellow salad eater.

A few days later, our good friends Rip and Karen Ribble go for a early evening sail.

Jenée and I do a little biking down to the Midway aircraft carrier - a cool WWII museum.

Famous end of WWII pose and the Midway.

Relaxing on board Jungle.

Breathtaking scenery.

Out for dinner on Coronado. Jenée is between the whisk and fork.

Ready for dinner.

This is the 1887 restaurant. Built by the same folks that built the Del Coronado, only one year before. Cool restaurant.

We are ready for cocktails at the 1887.

Night settles in. More to come. If this update wasn't edgy enough for you, too bad. Just kidding. No, really, scram.

No comments: