Sunday, October 13, 2013

Fourth of July in San Diego

A new day and we are anchored in Glorietta Bay off Coronado. That is the Coronado Golf course where I last played in 1990. It was a company sponsored scramble tournament and our foursome won. So I got that going for me.

Did I mention I aspired to join the PGA? If I did, I was lying. Let's face it, most golfers lie. "I'm about a 12 handicap" - sure you are.

Any hoo, enough on golf. The sun sets over Glorietta Bay.

We are flying the Stars and Stripes for a Fourth of July weekend on Coronado. Normally we fly the Marshall Islandse flag since we are registered there - but not this weekend. All we need is a parade!

Bingo! They're setting up on Orange Street, looking south.

Looking north.

And here they come

Lead by the California state flag.

And there is Bill Gore, San Diego County Sherriff and Jenée son Garrett's boss.

We got little horses and buggys.

And big horses ...

And big buggies. Man I'm thirsty.

Cool float depicting the famous Iwo Jima flag raising - using real soldiers.

Complete with a WWII Navy Fighter. Most of you know that San Diego is a huge Navy and Marine base of operations and training. It is that.

And here are the Navy boys now. A great day.

With fireworks over the bay at night. Garrett came over and we had front row seats.

Who doesn't love fireworks.

Oh, I know

There were fireworks displays everywhere. This is a look over Coronado into San Diego Bay.

Festivities over and here is something you don't see everyday. A little pooch in an electric car. The dude walking behind had the remote in his pocket and have the car drive ahead. The little guy inside never moved. Pretty cool. Needless to say, 4,000 people, including me were taking photos.

Back at The Del Coronado hotel and I spot Jenée and sister Sheri coming out. Hopefully I can get them to stop and pose for a picture.

Done and done. We always have fun when Sheri and Brian come around. Check out Jenée's shirt - that is our kitty Katie stenciled on. My darling loves that kitty. Jenée has a whole bunch of T-shirts with my face stenciled on. Not sure where those are.

Time for more family visits. This is my niece Katie Lamb and daughter Finnie. I just learned they were in San Diego from Katie's Dad and was fortunate to catch up before they ship out.

Here is husband DJ and the little princess. DJ just completed training as a Navy Seal and is off to the east coast for a year of medical training. These are highly specialized and well trained dudes.

Another niece, Maya and her son Ezariah came to visit. I took them to visit the Science Museum in Santa Ana.

Ezariah and I got to tour the museum together while Mom was on the phone. He an extremely gifted and bright kid. None of my genes involved. I look forward to keeping up with Ez.

That's it for now. The next update will be from our trip to the island of Santa Catalina.

 

No comments: