Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Yassas from Nisos Lesvos

We sail north from Samos and stop overnight in a small bay on the Turkey coast. The next morning, we make our way north again to a small island off Nisos Khios called Nisos Oinoussa. There is a small village and harbor called Mandraki. We tie up to the dock for the first night but are told we need to get off for maintenance the next morning. No problem, here is Jungle sitting in the harbor.
The sunsets nicely on Jungle.

And the village of Mandraki.

A final sun setting beyond the church.

The next morning we set sail north to Lesvos. The winds are still strong so we are enjoying breakfast, coffee and tea in the pilot house. The fact is most sailboats require someone outside in the elements at all times - gets tiring and wet in tough winds.

We make it to Lesvos is stiff winds and find this little cove at the bottom of the island. Time for a swim.

And a pose. Comments anyone? How about; "hey Jim, nice sweater, hey Jim, suck in a little harder to see if your belly button can hit your spine, or nice hat, bowl of soup come with that?" thank you very much.

It really was great snorkeling out by those rocks.

The next morning we sail around to Lesvos capital port of Mytilini (or Mitilini). We've come over 100 miles into the wind so far. This is one busy place and Lesvos is a big island, one of the largest of the Greek Iles. A little history for you, Lesvos is also spelled Lesbos and in the 5 th century BC there was a poet named Sappho. She had female lovers and spawned the word lesbian. In poetic fashion, she threw herself off a cliff on the southwest side of the island when spurned by a lover. We'll be checking this place out.

The next morning is Sunday and we get a marching band and military parade to start the day at 8 AM. Kali mera! (Good morning!)

We rent a car and set out to the north and find pretty little harbors along the way like this one.

.. and lots of coastline.

We make our way to the northern harbor of Skala Sikamineas. Check out the Macaw and the little guy.

I know a little about macaws as we were thinking of buying one to bring along back in San Diego, but opted out - too much work. This macaw will bite but likes the back of his head rubbed - very nice.

Jenée matches the fishing fleet perfectly. The little church behind her is dedicated to the Panayia Gorgona - Our Lady of the Mermaid. I can now die in peace.

While at the little taverna with the bird, the Aussie waitress tells us we can make it to our next destination via coastal dirt road. She said it was a bit of a say-fair-ee (safari), but scenic and doable. Rental car? We're in. And it was a safari adventure.

With lovely scenery.

I like lunch.

We make our way to our destination of Mithimna, another 2500 year old village with castle and harbor.

And octopus hanging out to dry at the harbor side taverna. I've never enjoyed octopus (too chewy) until I tried it in Greece. They dry it and simply grill it with olive oil and it's great. I now like octopus.

We drive from the harbor to the top and the castle, but we are not going in. We are castled out for a while.

We will walk down into the village from the top and check it out.

Incredible views, again.

Lovely little yards with trees, bushes and flowers. We try hard not to impose on the locals and walk around quietly and shoot pictures quietly as these are people's homes.

The cats are chilling out. The cats in these parts are very well tended and still roam about. Lots of cats, no rats, as they like to say.

A view over a patio, down to the harbor.

And we're back home in time for the 8 PM marching band. It must be a Sunday thing.

OK, let me explain. The next day we ended running around to get things for Jungle, including a plank of wood to easily get in and out of the boat at some of these harbors such as this one. We get a late start for the beach, around 3 PM. No big deal, that's what most of the Greeks do. But for me, I'm just not a late afternoon swimmer today. I didn't break much of a sweat, so I ain't swimming. My darling bride is trying everthing to "cheer" me into the water.

Not working.

Not working. Nice try though

Wait a minute, she challenged me to a stone skipping competition. Winner take all and gets whatever they want. I don't know about you, but what I want is a new bike!

Jenée's showing good form, but what she doesn't know is I was semi-pro at this game. I was a rising star until elbow injuries from rock throwing derailed my career. I don't want to talk about it, I get choked up. Anyways we play the game, six stones each, best throw wins and I nail it with a 5 skipper. I'm sitting pretty. Jenée comes back with a seven skipper! Could be a world record, I dont know. Champion! No bike for Jimmy.

I'm crushed. Plus I think I reinjured my elbow. What I do have going for me is my 4 door sedan which almost holds 2 people. I'll make it.

The winner is off to the showers.

You gotta love this, fresh water showers on the beach. Very nice indeed.

Jenée is thinking about what she wants and it turns out to be spending the rest of the day rock collecting and seashell collecting. I want to slam the car door on my big toe to wake me out of this nightmare.

We drive again down another long, dirt road and keep going until we find this little church on an island and a little beach below us.

And it is on the windy side of the island.

Beautiful little beach.

Jenée begins her hunt. Fortunately, I have pockets in my bathing suit to carry the stuff back. Lucky me.

No stone or shell will go unturned.

Pay dirt! Now we go on a long bumpy ride home but quite pretty

And back home, we see our spanking new plank to make it easy to get in and out of Jungle at these harbors with high quays (docks). We now walk the plank every day. Oh, I'm doing it again!

 

1 comment:

glennlarkin said...

JJ wrote: "Comments anyone? How about; "hey Jim, nice sweater, hey Jim, suck in a little harder to see if your belly button can hit your spine, or nice hat, bowl of soup come with that?" thank you very much."
My comment? Why bother when you do such a good job? Makes it much easier on me. So thanks.