Saturday, June 4, 2011

Abrigado Horta

Behold the Jungle! We're told it is very bad luck to pass through Horta and not leave an artistic rememberance. We're covered.


Can't have more fun than a 3D movie at the local museum. Don't ask me why, but I passed this trip up.

Horta is a spectacular island. Temps in the high 60's, very pleasant, very green, very nice people. I was told that Fall River, MA is populated with Azorian Portugese - mostly fisherman. Still predominant population to this day. Abrigado! Now you can speak a little Portugese - thank you.


Sailing is a great way to meet people. This is the crew of S/V Diatonic. Tony, David and Paul were on there way back to the UK. We had a lot of laughs. David loved telling the story of when they hailed me in the early AM on VHF, on my watch. I asked them for their coordinates so I could figure out where they were located. David said, "Oh, look out your starboard window, I'm the one in the blue shorts". Oh, right, there you are.


There is some pretty good competition out there for boat art.


The captain and admiral are wearing their Sunday best for a stroll through the marina. My outfit is retro rap - charming. I'm a gonna bust yo ass .... C'mon, sing wit me.



What looks like one man's graffiti is another man's art. A long tradition in Horta is to paint a remembrance of your ship. This looks like a job for Lennie Bourne.



By the way, welcome to Europe, home of the over crowded marina. Perfect fit!



The Jungle crew is happy to be at rest after 13 days, 14 hrs, 23 min, 51 seconds at sea - give or take 2 hours, 13 min. Our creative designer - Lennie Bourne - devised the catchy Jungle shirts. People are lining up for these shirts.

No comments: